The following is information about the Elon 101 course I teach at Elon University.
Elon 101 supports the transition of first-year students as they become active participants in an academic community. To fulfill this mission, Elon 101 uses a developmental model of advising that:
- Designs class experiences to expand students’ academic and interpersonal skills.
- Provides opportunities to enhance students’ confidence and competence.
- Encourages students to make informed decisions, exercise social responsibility and demonstrate personal integrity.
- Fosters caring relationships and respect for individual differences.
- Models passion for lifelong learning.
Throughout this course, students will be able to:
- Articulate the purpose of the Elon Honor Code and its significance to maintaining a vibrant community.
- Communicate the basic fundamentals of the First-Year Foundations and the Elon Core Curriculum.
- Utilize basic advising planning tools.
- Articulate the underlying importance of a basic liberal arts foundation to complement major requirements.
- Identify basic campus resources to support their academic activities.
- Locate and evaluate opportunities for campus-related involvement.
- Communicate with their academic advisor about preregistration, academic requirements, and social issues or concerns.
- Readings as assigned
Elon 101 Fall 2017 Syllabus (PDF)